Update (2021): Ostinato now supports 10G, 25G and 40Gbps line-rate rate traffic using the Turbo Transmit add-on.
Now we do the same test on Linux - specifically Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS. I expected the results to be same as the Live ISO since it is also Linux based, but I was in for a surprise!.
I configured the same single stream as earlier -
- Protocols: Mac, Ethernet II, IPv4, UDP, Pattern
- Source and Destination Mac addresses populated with the actual Mac addresses of the source and sink
- Source and Destination IP addresses populated with the actual IP addresses of the source and sink
- Packets/sec: 0
- Number of packets: 10 (default)
- After this stream: Goto first
Here are the numbers -
|Packet Size||Max Rate (Kpps)||Max Rate (Mbps)|
Mbps rate was calculated using the below formula to take into account the ethernet line overhead of 20 bytes (1 byte SFD + 7 byte preamble + 12 byte inter-packet gap) -
Rate (in Mbps) = (PacketSize + 20) * kppsRate * 8 / 1000
- Ostinato 0.9 - for Linux (Ubuntu 16.04, 64-bit)
- Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
- Processor: Xeon E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz (8-core)
- RAM: 32GB
- NIC: Intel I218-V 1Gbps
- Although it’s a 8-core CPU, only one core reaches 100% CPU during the test (same as Live ISO) - as expected since for a single port, Ostinato doesn’t use more than one core
- RAM usage - 26MB (value of
top); this is lower than the 98MB used in the LiveISO
- Max line rate (well - quite close to it) is reached for 256 byte packets and larger, same as the Live ISO and MacOS.
- For smaller packet sizes, Ubuntu performs better (64 - 618Mbps, 128 - 955Mbps) than the Linux ISO (64 - 403Mbps, 128 - 702Mbps) - in fact, the 128 byte rate is quite close to line rate
- Speculating on what could cause this performance difference on the two different Linux distros -
- The application code is exactly the same for both Ubuntu and LiveISO
- In the packet transmit code path, there are no Qt APIs
- The non application packet transmit code path is essentially composed of pcap_sendpacket() and the underlying system call(s) - confirmed by perf
- Version comparison of these components -
|Component||Ubuntu 16.04.3||Live ISO (TinyCore 8.2)|
|Kernel||4.13.0-32-generic (64-bit)||4.8.17-tinycore (32-bit)|
For more Ostinato posts, subscribe for email updates.